Tuesday 19 March 2019

Salute 2019

Excitement mounts as we get closer to the 6th April, the day of Salute 2019.  The wrist bands and set up instructions are through from the organisers, and our own travel plans are all in place.  I think we have planes, trains and automobiles covered in terms of how all of us are getting there.  I have tried to persuade someone to come by canal barge, but everyone else thought just three modes of transport was fine!

Check out the South London Warlords site for details, including a map of order stands and games, here.

The FOGH game will be at GK13.  I hope you will stop by to look at the game and chat.


You should also be able to find us as we will have the following banner next to the table.
The dress rehearsal game did highlight a couple of things to address.  One was themed dice.  Probably a bit frivolous, but who doesn't need new dice occasionally?!  We have gone for Blue with yellow dots for the Swedes + Allies, and Red with White dots for the Imperials.


We had already planned to have lots of cotton wool for the smoke from burning Lützen town, but one of the team suggested we use those LED fake 'tea-lights' to add to the effect.  Thanks to Andy Mk II for these, which I think will look great!


It was also noted at the dress rehearsal game that no one had yet painted a Gustav figure.  Well, you can't really do Lützen without the Lion of the North, himself.  I have the Warlord Games figure (here) but had been wondering where to get some other suitably animated figures to accompany him on his command base.  I allow my commanders in chief a fairy generous round base and normally expect at least two other figures to represent the great man's entourage.  The solution was actually quite simple as two other of Warlord's general figures were ideal.   The Warlord Fairfax (here) and Rupert (here) figures are in equally dynamic poses.   My plan is to have Gustav leading the charge, his horse having just cleared some obstacle, with the following figures having their horse just about to jump the obstacle.  I think I have an old unwanted artillery piece in the bits box which might be a suitable obstacle.  The additional figures have been purchased and the lot undercoated.


 (Fairfax has had a slight conversion; he comes with a fine English triple barred pot, and so I have converted this in to a more Thirty Years War-ish (to me!) single barred Dutch pot.)


The latest personal painting challenge!

Until next time.

6 comments:

  1. I for one will pay you a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired idea for a command stand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Codsticker! I’m quite pleased with how the figures have painted up. Will share soon :-)

      Delete
  3. Hopefully I will be able to actually look around the show this year (#3 son was rather poorly last year). Lützen is on my list!

    ReplyDelete